Global Spirit /Dublin once in a lifetime!

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

Global Spirit /Dublin once in a lifetime!

Postby Gaynor » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Despite being a huge fan of DM since the early 80s when I was but a young sprog, I have never got to see them live. Crappy youth, single parent struggling to go through a degree course; crappy marriage, crappier divorce, still working hard to qualify as the teacher I knew I wanted to be while being a mum and working in other jobs, either money was short, the time was wrong or I couldn't get babysitters.

My one comfort was that all three of my children have been bought up properly and are huge fans of Depeche Mode as well.

Finally, I found a Prince Charming, became a teacher (in a prison and then with teens with personal and social issues/addictions and even in academia with Oxbridge students and foundation degree lecturing) and life was good.

We moved to Ireland and then aged 41, I got cancer. A year after treatment I was contacted by a fb friend of a friend. Her mother was in a hospice with terminal cancer and was afraid. Could I help? Well, who wouldn't? Not really knowing this lady or her daughter or even where the Hospice was, living on the other side of Ireland, I got the train to Dublin. Then I quickly got on the Luas (tram) and then just as quickly, I got back off it as I had no idea where it or I were going! I grabbed a taxi instead and arrived at the hospice not knowing what to expect or what I could or should do.

I found myself holding this lady's hand and just talked to her and her family for a few hours. She was so ill but at the same time was frightened of dying. No one from her church would go and sit with her; so I did.

Then I went home and more or less forgot about it.

Nearly 5 years after this thinking I was in remission, I was told my disease was back and this time it's terminal. 'Blasphemous Rumours' comes to mind at this stage. I was given 6 months... 19 months ago.

When I saw Depeche Mode were coming to Dublin, I thought this was it. I had to see them. It was now or never.

Life went with never. I got ill, was in hospital three nights and figured it just wasn't worth the risk. Finances with a terminal illness are never great and energy levels even worse. So, pragmatic to the end, I shoved on all my Depeche Mode CDs (are CDs extinct yet?) and played them full blast, singing badly and encouraging my bovine neighbours to join in. They declined. They have shocking taste in moosic.

Undeterred I sang unaccompanied by anything but a sound track but it was enough to satisfy my inner mode.

Imagine my shock, when, out of nowhere, the daughter of the lady I went to visit all those years ago emailed me. She had seen my fb post mentioning Depeche Mode coming to Dublin and she'd arranged to get me and my Prince Charming (20 years married now!) two tickets to see Depeche Mode in Dublin!

My daughter and sons arranged for us to stay in the hotel opposite the 3 Arena so I didn't have to worry about transport and I was even allowed in one of the private(ish) clubs!

I was like a child waiting for Santa. In fact, I don't think it's hit me, even now.

I got to sit and watch Depeche Mode FOR REAL!!! I still can't really believe it. I keep saying it out loud just to check that it really happened. It makes for some funny looks off people when I'm wondering around the supermarket.

It really was just like a dream come true!

Now, I've lived. I survived a murder attempt, an arson attack, thought tooth and nail to get my students the help they needed, brought up my kids well, raised thousands of euros for charity and gone from shelf filler to teacher, to designer to writer (children's books). Everything I do involves an aspect of giving back (hence the money for charity). So I'm not some moon struck calf. But OMG it WAS THE BEST!

I acknowledge that seeing Depeche Mode live was the most selfish thing I have ever done. It was purely for me. My husband has seen them a couple of times, in the UK and in America, but I never had.

Until now.

And it was the most fantastic thing I have ever watched!!!

I'm still in a stage of euphoria. They were all I expected and more! I sang Personal Jesus with Dave (just me you understand; the 1000s of others weren't really there). I watched and sang with Depeche Mode and I still can't quite believe it.

It was the most selfish thing I have ever done; all for me. But it came from a kind deed so I guess that makes it ok. It didn't raise a cent for anything else; not my cancer charities or my palliative care charities. It was solely for my benefit. And whilst having my children, marrying my prince, getting qualified AND being a rocking teacher (often asked to 18th birthdays; always had the sense to politely decline), having books published for my granddaughter to remember me by were pretty cool pinnacles in life; NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT SEEING DEPECHE MODE LIVE!

If life has to have a full stop, even if that full stop comes where I thought I would only have a comma; the Global Spirit gig in Dublin is one hell of a way to end a sentence.

Thank you Depeche Mode

It made my life and it has given my husband some amazing memories. He always said he wished he had met me sooner so he could have taken me to see them. Now he has.

Thank you xxxxxxxxx It was the BEST!
Gaynor

Re: Global Spirit /Dublin once in a lifetime!

Postby laceyalley80+ » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Wow!! That is an amazing story and I'm so glad you got to see them!! I always love hearing how DM touches peoples lives. A blessing indeed :)
"If God has a master plan, That only he understands...I hope it's your eyes He's seeing through."
laceyalley80+
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Defier » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:54 am

Hello, Dear
Reading your story brought tears to my eyes. Your husband and your family are really lucky to have you around. I wish you will get well. Please, stay positive.
Love.
Mariusz
Defier

Postby Gaynor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:27 pm

Thank you. It was totally amazing xx
Gaynor

Postby Defier » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Gaynor French passed away on September 19th, 2018. Only found out today. May she rest in peace.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/wom ... 46696.html

Her FB page: https://www.facebook.com/dyingwithdignityireland/
Defier

Return to Global Spirit Tour