Europa Hymn

Talk about "MG", the new solo record from Martin Gore.

Re: Europa Hymn

Postby odyssey3001 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi JCGE, I've listened to the album a few times now and really enjoy it. I find something new on every listen.

It's a complete departure from his previous works, either solo or with DM. Some of the tracks are quite short, 2.30min, others longer, quality varies a lot, although as a whole it does have a very distinct 'filmic' quality to it which I love. Some of the tracks do feel like a sketch of an idea, if you understand what I mean, rather than a complete finished tune.

It's also a very experimental album too, I guess, as Martin has obviously used lots of modular synths to make new sounds, effects, and rhythms. I find this very exciting as I'm getting into analog synths myself. It's almost like he made a sound and thought 'right, I like this sound, what can I do with'.

I will also add that it is amazing with headphones on in a dark room.
odyssey3001
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Shadowman82 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:40 pm

Yes Martin has indeed created some very cool and interesting sounds with his modular synth and what else he used for this album . It's a real bummer he did not do that on Delta Machine where as I understand more or less the same synths were used . Maybe DM studio time is too expensive to spend a long time on creating sounds . It's a shame though for sure .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby Shadowman82 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:13 pm

What I also don't get is why Martin can have punchy drum sounds like in the Track "Stealth" but on Delta Machine pretty much all the drum sounds were wimpy and cheap . Oh and mods don't worry the link below is an official Mute one .

https://youtu.be/xfbvc5omk-M
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby Just can't get enough » Thu May 07, 2015 1:30 pm

odyssey3001 wrote:Hi JCGE, I've listened to the album a few times now and really enjoy it. I find something new on every listen.

It's a complete departure from his previous works, either solo or with DM. Some of the tracks are quite short, 2.30min, others longer, quality varies a lot, although as a whole it does have a very distinct 'filmic' quality to it which I love. Some of the tracks do feel like a sketch of an idea, if you understand what I mean, rather than a complete finished tune.

It's also a very experimental album too, I guess, as Martin has obviously used lots of modular synths to make new sounds, effects, and rhythms. I find this very exciting as I'm getting into analog synths myself. It's almost like he made a sound and thought 'right, I like this sound, what can I do with'.

I will also add that it is amazing with headphones on in a dark room.

It was very nice of you to reply Odyssey :) . I am very much into the experimental side of music and bearing in mind your comments - I think we are probably on the same wavelength - and with what others are saying on this topic, I may just purchase Martin's album and give it a try. Those modular synths and punchy drum sounds sound very interesting to me:)

Hopefully I will like it - I will let you know :D
Just can't get enough

Postby Mpresev » Thu May 14, 2015 1:30 am

I've been listening and really enjoying the MG album..

You know I underestimated Martin Gore.. I had no idea that he's a very talented Electronic Musician/Programmer/SOund designer and Producer. I hear a lot of Depeche Mode on his album.
Mpresev
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby TardisGirl4Gore » Sat May 30, 2015 6:45 pm

am I the only one who thinks this track should be an hour long? I really just can't get enough of this one.
TardisGirl4Gore

Postby Black Horses » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:15 pm

MG project is very good...He is a genius. Perfectly sounds..
Black Horses

Previous

Return to MG