Europa Hymn

Talk about "MG", the new solo record from Martin Gore.

Re: Europa Hymn

Postby russellk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:55 am

This is the kind of thing I've been waiting for DM the group or Martin solo to do, something experimental. In a way, we have Vince to thank, since no doubt VCMG inspired Mart to explore the sonic side of things. Would be cool if Vince did a VC by himself, and someday maybe they do another joint project. And I agree, Mart can do interesting sounds on his own, so maybe the next DM LP will sans outside producer! At least move on from Ben...
russellk

Postby Deprocyon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:20 pm

And here I was thinking that image on the album cover was a man in a frilly shower-curtained dress looking down upon him from above the top of his head. I was wrong, this video shows that it was a knob after all. :)

Frankly I can't wait for April 27/28. This album is like all those DM instrumental b-sides of yore (Memphisto, Sibeling, Slowblow (hopefully), Kaleid, Painkiller (oh yes please), PIMPF (as well as it's delightful plonky bit after the end on MftM that reminds me of the old NZ soap "Close To Home" theme), Introspecter, Easy Tiger... I could quote on) remixed, refreshened thru Marty's mind back out onto media for our 2015 listening pleasure. What a nice self-gifting birthday pwesent. ::))
Deprocyon

Postby told_you_so » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Great to have some new material to get one's DM teeth into. Cannot wait
told_you_so
DMMB Survivor

Postby Feeling loved » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Quoted from Martin L Gore Facebook page:

On Wednesday, April 22nd, Martin will be presenting an exclusive early stream of his new album MG. in addition to the full album stream, Martin will be online & answering questions live from fans. Stay tuned for more details.

https://m.facebook.com/MartinGore
Shackled and bound by the sound of his voice.
Feeling loved

Postby Feeling loved » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:05 pm

An interview by YAHOO! Music with Martin Gore about the MG project, his thoughts on perhaps segueing into film scoring, his enduring love of electronic music, and more:.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/depeche-mod ... 49331.html
Shackled and bound by the sound of his voice.
Feeling loved

Postby Shadowman82 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:53 pm

I like what I'm hearing so far . It really does sound like Martn can come with some cool sounds on his own . Don't know why his production for the "So Cruel" cover turned out so boring if this is what he is capable of now .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby tex » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:34 pm

Feeling loved wrote:An interview by YAHOO! Music with Martin Gore about the MG project, his thoughts on perhaps segueing into film scoring, his enduring love of electronic music, and more:.

Thanks for positing this article. It's a great read. He seems so humble talking about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I love his joke about how Reznor was nominated before DM was for the Hall, because Reznor didn't wear as much mascara as DM did. :0) It'd be neat if Mart could do a score for a film. Maybe, for Corbijn's next film, Mart can do a score for Corbijn. :0)
tex
DMMB Survivor

Postby Shadowman82 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:12 pm

He made it quite clear that he could only score a film if it were to happen in that window where DM are not in the studio , on tour and where he isn't writing songs for DM .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby niklaw » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:17 pm

I got the album on Saturday from Mute, it's a lovely package, the sleeve feels a bit like Joy Division's 'Still'. The album is like film music, without a film. Some good tracks, but lots of atmosphere. I still think VCMG was excellent. The Q&A online would've been better if they'd filmed Mart answering the q's. Still, when's Fletch's solo album coming out then..?!!
niklaw

Postby Just can't get enough » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Feeling loved wrote:An interview by YAHOO! Music with Martin Gore about the MG project, his thoughts on perhaps segueing into film scoring, his enduring love of electronic music, and more:.

Really interesting read :)

I can totally see where Martin comes from about how you relate to the feel of music, and I see why Martin has used only synths as, to me, synths generate a sound that other instruments can't, and give a mystical atmospheric quality. I am very much a fan of mystical atmospheric sounds, and this is a quality that attracts me to Depeche. I can say it's not always about the lyrics that attract me to a particular song.

I will be honest and say, at the moment, I have only listed to Europa Hymn, once, and briefly, and on a mobile phone. I am interested to learn about the rest of the album (because it's Martin, obviously), but I will be honest and say that I wasn't blown away by this tune, and in a way felt a little disappointed. I had high hopes before I listened to it and felt a little deflated after I heard it. But, I thought after it sounds "very Martin" :D

I am into NIN (Depeche are NO.1 in my eyes!) and, for some reason, was hoping Martin may have gone along the same lines, but done it somehow better, in a Martin way.

I have to listen to one or two songs from a favourite artiste, and that will usually be enough to make me want to buy the album, but I am not sure about this one.

Someone help me :(

Though it's good, at least I now know I haven't got rose tinted glasses for anything associated with Martin, and that I have an individual opinion. :confused:
Just can't get enough

PreviousNext

Return to MG