concert in Kyiv (Ukraine), 26 February 2014

Discuss all topics related to the Delta Machine Tour

Postby Maryana » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:09 am

bokkie wrote:Wondering if the Moscow show will go ahead after this weekend's events?
Thinking of you, Melisa, and your country. xoxo

I support your opinion although Depeche Mode has always been unpolitical
Maryana

Postby Maryana » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:01 pm

Maryana wrote:I support your opinion although Depeche Mode has always been unpolitical

I realize that my position was caused by my anger because of situation in Ukraine. Forgive me, my mostly peaceful Russian friends. What anger is doing with us! I believe most DM lovers do not want war neither in Ukraine nor in Russia. Best wishes of peace and calm to all of us.
Maryana

Postby SDM » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:45 pm

I hope this unfortunate situation in Ukraine can be settled peacefully. Our thoughts, best wishes and prayers to all of you, from the City of Birmingham, England.
SDM

Postby depechedude » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:01 pm

"People are people, so why should it be? You and I should get along so awfully?"

I read about the current situation and immediately thought of "People Are People", one of my favorite DM tracks. I hope things get better soon. :(
On a note full of hope, not despair...
depechedude

Postby TommyVIO » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:08 pm

I see there are some DM fans here from Ukraine. I really hope that things will get better as I too was born in Western Ukraine (Mukachevo) and still have a few relatives there.

I believe that the conflicts are not at all between the people, these conflicts are all about politics and the people have gotten really tired of it.

I remember in my childhood when I was still in Ukraine, although it was still USSR, life outside of a few cities that depended on Hungary, Czech, Poland, was very bad and and since that wasn't too long ago, people remember the bad times and nobody in Ukraine wants to have any part of Russian rule because of that.
DM fan since 1986...
TommyVIO
DMMB Survivor

Postby Feeling loved » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 am

I agree with that! It's all about power. I even think that some Russian citizens might disagree with their government's decisions & I believe that it's the right of people in any country to decide who should be in power.
That being said, I guess music should rise above politics & unite people. Therefore, I don't expect Depeche cancelling gigs to show political opinion. Only if it's unsafe for them or the fans, should they make a cancellation.
Shackled and bound by the sound of his voice.
Feeling loved

Postby Jemfrance » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:52 pm

TommyVIO wrote:I see there are some DM fans here from Ukraine. I really hope that things will get better as I too was born in Western Ukraine (Mukachevo) and still have a few relatives there.

I believe that the conflicts are not at all between the people, these conflicts are all about politics and the people have gotten really tired of it.

I remember in my childhood when I was still in Ukraine, although it was still USSR, life outside of a few cities that depended on Hungary, Czech, Poland, was very bad and and since that wasn't too long ago, people remember the bad times and nobody in Ukraine wants to have any part of Russian rule because of that.

Nobody in Ukraine wants to have any part of Russian rule because of that? Of bad times during USSR? Russia has the same in common with USSR like Ukraine and Georgia. It was Soviet UNION with centre in Moscow, it wasn't russian union.
USSR consisted of many countries such as Georgia, Ukraine, Russia and many others. Stalin was Georgian, he even didn't speak russian language very good and had a huge accent. So if to compare to European Union then Soviet Union was ruled by Georgia 1924-1953. Khrushchev was from Ukranian communist party. For me he was even worse than Stalin. Brezhnev came from Ukraine too. So Soviet Union was lead by Ukraine 1953-1982. Must i blame Georgia for Stalin's crimes? Must i blame Ukraine for Carribean Crisis, tzar bomb http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKu23Xgdsi4 Prague Spring 1968 and many other crimes because Soviet Union was lead by Ukrainians in that period?
Gorbatchev was born and spent all his communist years in Russia. And everyone knows how open he wanted to be USSR for a world.
The crimes of USSR were mutual sin, and when you blame Russia in all USSR (with head quarter in Moscow) sins it's like to blame Belgium in economical crisis of European Union because head quarter of European Union is in Brusseles.
Jemfrance
DMMB Veteran

Postby Feeling loved » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:38 pm

This is a part of an interview with Martin to the Philippine Daily Inquirer giving his message to people in the Ukraine:

And what’s your message to people in the Ukraine, where the band had to cancel its tour due to the civil unrest, and to people in Venezuela, as they protest against oppression?

It was very unfortunate that we had to cancel our show in Kiev, Ukraine. It was due to take place a few days after government snipers killed dozens of protesters, and just after President Viktor Yanukovych fled the capital. Nobody knew at that time what was going to happen. In fact, we still don’t. Russia has now annexed Crimea and it could go on to occupy more of the Ukraine. It is a complicated situation because although there are many pro-European Union supporters in the country, there are also many pro-Russian supporters, especially in Crimea.
I am not a political analyst. I don’t know what is going to happen. Let’s hope (Russian President Vladimir) Putin stays out of the rest of the Ukraine. He holds more cards in his hand than the West [does] so I am not sure how much effect the sanctions imposed will have on Russia.
The situation in Venezuela is dreadful. It reminds me of Myanmar a few years ago and Egypt and… the list could go on and on. When a dictatorship/government turns its guns on its own people who are protesting peacefully, it is a sign of fear and weakness on the part of those people in power. In an ideal world, all governments should be elected democratically and carry out the wishes of the people. It may take time but ultimately the masses must win.
Shackled and bound by the sound of his voice.
Feeling loved

Previous

Return to Delta Machine Tour 2013-2014