Jan 27- Birmingham UK- LG Arena

Discuss all topics related to the Delta Machine Tour

Postby SDM » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:29 pm

cookie wrote:Spot on with the above.... there was nothing wrong with the audience that night it was the band . It was the worse performance I had seen them give in 30 yrs and I have seen them a lot . so to blame the audience in interviews was unfair. I have to say though Birmingham last week was so so so much better best gig since sofad tour in my opinion

So glad you were there that night all those years ago and posted this. Was getting a bit tired of people trying to change history. How can 15,000 people go to a concert, up for a great night out at great expense, and collectively all decide to turn it in to a bad night?! DM always said in the past that Birmingham was one of the best cities on their tours for crowd enthusiasm. Something wasn't quite right that night, and it wasn't the audience to blame.

Like you, I've seen them in Birmingham every tour since 1983 .... the one on 27th January this year ranks as one of the best. (Still liked the gigs with the huge screens at the beginning that dropped to the floor .... gave it a bit of drama at the beginning!)
SDM

Postby Feeling loved » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:08 pm

By this very minute…It'd go

Dun da da da DAA dun( WTMW intro)

feet & back soreness would vanish, heart racing & fluttery butterflies in stomach!!!
Shackled and bound by the sound of his voice.
Feeling loved

Postby Feeling loved » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:16 pm

[thecatswhiskers] originally posted:
:( I was just thinking this time last week I was there queing, all full of excitement. All full of bravado too of how I was going to get Dave's attention LOL :D ( in truth, when he was right in front of me, I just turned into a little mewing kitten haahaa!)
I can't quite believe how quickly the date came and went :eek:]

You must've seen the girl who got the flying kiss from Dave during Angel!!
Now how luckier can a girl get on a night like this?! There isn't a crying smiley on here!
Feeling loved

Postby thecatswhiskers » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:26 pm

Feeling loved wrote:[thecatswhiskers] originally posted:
:( I was just thinking this time last week I was there queing, all full of excitement. All full of bravado too of how I was going to get Dave's attention LOL :D ( in truth, when he was right in front of me, I just turned into a little mewing kitten haahaa!)
I can't quite believe how quickly the date came and went :eek:]

You must've seen the girl who got the flying kiss from Dave during Angel!!
Now how luckier can a girl get on a night like this?! There isn't a crying smiley on here!

Yes, I saw (much jealousness!!) She had made a banner asking for a kiss as it was her birthday -for MARTIN though. She got her kiss from Martin eventually :)
I found treasure not where I thought
thecatswhiskers
DMMB Veteran

Postby Feeling loved » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 pm

[thecatswhiskers] originally posted:
Yes, I saw (much jealousness!!) She had made a banner asking for a kiss as it was her birthday -for MARTIN though. She got her kiss from Martin eventually :)]

Oh yeah, I saw that banner with Martin's name on it!
I thought the lucky girl was her friend, the short- haired one to her right.
Got it now. What a birthday treat!:)
Feeling loved

Postby Feeling loved » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:05 pm

[SDM] originally posted:
So glad you were there that night all those years ago and posted this. Was getting a bit tired of people trying to change history. How can 15,000 people go to a concert, up for a great night out at great expense, and collectively all decide to turn it in to a bad night?! DM always said in the past that Birmingham was one of the best cities on their tours for crowd enthusiasm. Something wasn't quite right that night, and it wasn't the audience to blame.
Like you, I've seen them in Birmingham every tour since 1983 .... the one on 27th January this year ranks as one of the best. (Still liked the gigs with the huge screens at the beginning that dropped to the floor .... gave it a bit of drama at the beginning!)]

That's good to know!
Thank goodness it went really well this tour, just in case it's the last, heaven forbid.
Great memory for us & for the band.
Feeling loved

Postby SDM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Feeling loved wrote:[SDM] originally posted:
Like you, I've seen them in Birmingham every tour since 1983 .... the one on 27th January this year ranks as one of the best. (Still liked the gigs with the huge screens at the beginning that dropped to the floor .... gave it a bit of drama at the beginning!)]

That's good to know!
Thank goodness it went really well this tour, just in case it's the last, heaven forbid.
Great memory for us & for the band.

We had a great night .... hope the band did too. Wonder if they read the posts on these forums .... hmmmmmmm :)
SDM

Postby nicknameless » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:16 am

It was a good night and better than 2009 but the sound is truly awful in this venue. They sounded so much better in Manchester and TBH more of the crowd around us in the standing area seemed up for it from the start there too.
nicknameless

Postby gaz101 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:02 pm

I think it depends on where you stand as I think it was the other way round where I was stood.Birmingham was better than Manchester but both were great nights.
gaz101
DMMB Veteran

Postby SDM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:25 pm

nicknameless wrote:It was a good night and better than 2009 but the sound is truly awful in this venue. They sounded so much better in Manchester and TBH more of the crowd around us in the standing area seemed up for it from the start there too.

The ceiling is too high in the MEN ... err, sorry .... Phones 4 U Arena, the sound goes upwards. At the LG with a lower roof the sound projects forwards better. Both a couple of oversized cowsheds though. Never thought I'd say this, but was hoping after 34 years DM's popularity would've been on the wane, and we would be seeing them at the smaller (2,200 capacity) Symphony Hall in Birmingham where the acoustics are superb. Seen a couple of bands there, including OMD, and it was fantastic, and you're relatively close to the stage wherever you sit.
SDM

PreviousNext

Return to Delta Machine Tour 2013-2014