SOTU in future tours...

Discuss all topics relating to the 2009 Depeche Mode tour!

Postby Paper Angel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:33 pm

I agree that Wrong will probably be the only track to make the cut. As the back catalogue grows, it must be so challenging to put together the set list. Shame we didn't get to hear Fragile Tension in Europe :(
Even the stars look brighter tonight...
Paper Angel

Postby arkei » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 pm

"Wrong" will be back in future tours. They'll probably bring back "Suffer Well" in a future tour, the same way they brought back "It's No Good" for this one.

As long as they don't resurrect "Dream On" from the graveyard that it belongs in . . .
It's just breath control
arkei

Postby daveirl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:16 pm

arkei wrote:"Wrong" will be back in future tours. They'll probably bring back "Suffer Well" in a future tour, the same way they brought back "It's No Good" for this one.

As long as they don't resurrect "Dream On" from the graveyard that it belongs in . . .

That's a tad harsh. It has a certain charm.
"I don't have a home..."
daveirl
DMMB Survivor

Postby The_BIFTAs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Niggels wrote:Wrong will make it and that's it!!

Just like Precious was the only one from PTA played this tour.

Yeah that.

Bloody shame though. I'd love to have heard In Sympathy - will we ever find out why it was dumped after only 2 shows?

I'd love to have heard Suffer Well again - seeing Martin play bass was super-dooper.

Shame we'll never hear Perfect or Corrupt. Anything not played on the tour of the album it was promoting will never make a future setlist. Just like we'll never get to hear Shine - best song on Exciter BY MILES. If they coudn't be arsed to play it on the tour of the album it was actually on, it'll never get played...
The_BIFTAs

Postby RAX » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:29 pm

Oh, you never know. Who would have expected them to play Fly on the Windscreen, I Want You Now, Blue Dress, One Caress etc?
Album tracks from SOTU might be played, but probably not in the successive tour. If there was another tour after that, maybe!
It seems to be mostly Martin songs they bring back though. Perhaps they'll feature Jezebel/Little Soul sometime in the future *shrugs* it'll be a terrific shame if they don't do Corrupt, though
[B]It's OK. I'm from the Internet.[/B]
RAX

Postby The_BIFTAs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:34 pm

RAX wrote:Oh, you never know. Who would have expected them to play Fly on the Windscreen, I Want You Now, Blue Dress, One Caress etc?

Yes, but they're from the "classic" albums that they like to play lots of songs from anyway.
The_BIFTAs

Postby adelemitch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:40 pm

The_BIFTAs wrote:I'd love to have heard Suffer Well again - seeing Martin play bass was super-dooper.

I never realised that, must get my copy of TTA out and watch it
YOU could go whiter.

You could go whiter!:eek: I'm almost blind here
adelemitch

Postby Astrid-DM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Agree - only Wrong will be carried on.
Pity they never tried Corrupt or Ghost live as i think they both would have been been very atmospheric.
Astrid-DM
DMMB Veteran

Postby Strunz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 am

Astrid-DM wrote:Agree - only Wrong will be carried on.
Pity they never tried Corrupt or Ghost live as i think they both would have been been very atmospheric.

In retrospect we were treated a few time on this tour, and I actually enjoyed BTW at the O2 last month, but I have to agree with the majority here - only the Wrong will survive (see what I did there?)

Weird how two of the best tracks from the album, as pointed out here, failed to make the grade live. Any ideas why?

They could have segued Personal Jesus into Corrupt for a grandstanding finale. Not to be too nerdy here, but the Pump mix bassline from PJ could have evolved into the start of Corrupt. New Order used to do that a lot with primitive gear when they were still reasonably experimental - 586/Temptation/Everything's Gone Green used to feature as a continuous 20 minute+ track
Strunz

Postby adelemitch » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:33 am

Feel free to correct me, but I did some digging.

TTA - 9 songs out of 12 from Playing The Angel were played at one time or another, those not played were Lillian, The Darkest Star & Introspectre

TOTU - 10 songs out of 13 from Sounds Of The Universe were played at one time or another, those not played were Perfect, Corrupt & Spacewalker.

Maybe SOTU is too complicated to play live and really is more of a studio album. Maybe songs from these two albums are not considered 'classics' yet by the band.

Imagine what would happen on the next tour if the dropped Personal Jesus to include Wrong, there would be an uproar (or would that just be me :D)
YOU could go whiter.

You could go whiter!:eek: I'm almost blind here
adelemitch

PreviousNext

Return to Tour Of The Universe 2009