SOTU in future tours...

Discuss all topics relating to the 2009 Depeche Mode tour!

Postby Black Celebrant » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 am

I think they really got the energy of I Feel You right on this tour, the first time that's happened since '93 imo. Dave wasn't trying too hard on it either, and surprise surprise, it sounded better.

Wrong will definitely feature again in future sets. I hope Hole To Feed comes back as well, although maybe rotated with Suffer Well in a setlist and not played every date :). I think they should give In Sympathy another go as well purely from the fan outrage is wasn't played after the first two shows of TOTU! I'm not as bothered as others but it could be really good live...

Mard
------------------------------

"... a brief period.. of rejoicing..."
Black Celebrant

Postby vdmin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:13 pm

It will be great if more songs from SOTU stay in future tours :D
I was realy surprised that from PTA on this tour they played only precious because all the songs from that album sounded great live on PTA tour. So I was thinking at least 3 will stay - Precoius, Suffer well, John the revelator or maybe Pain that I am used to.
So I would realy love to hear from Sounds of the universe again at least Wrong, Hole to feed, In chains or maybe Come back because they also sounded great live. And why not more songs from Exciter and Ultra
But who knows, Depeche have a big catalog of songs so maybe they relay on those who are more known through the years, not because they are better but because they are older, so people could sing. :p
vdmin
DMMB Survivor

Postby sensoria » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Wrong - Has to be....
Waveform Generator
sensoria

Postby daveirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:43 pm

Depeche were very lazy on this tour regarding the new material and stage set. It's a real shame as they sounded great and Dave's voice was at its very best. Comeback peace and corrupt should have been staples on every set. I'd love to know the reason for so few new songs played on the last leg.
"I don't have a home..."
daveirl
DMMB Survivor

Postby WayneUK » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:55 am

daveirl wrote:Depeche were very lazy on this tour regarding the new material and stage set. It's a real shame as they sounded great and Dave's voice was at its very best. Comeback peace and corrupt should have been staples on every set. I'd love to know the reason for so few new songs played on the last leg.

A lot went into the stage set, even if it does look very simple.

As for new songs on the second European leg, I guess, like 2006, they just decided to only play 4 or 5 (they played 5 SOTU tracks in Madrid 17/11/09).

In 2006, most of the gigs had Pain, Suffer, Precious, NI and JTR with NI being dropped at a few gigs and SIM played at one or two gigs.

For 2005/early 2006, they played 7 tracks from PTA alternating DP and Macro at some gigs.

For the first Euro 2009 leg, they they started off with 7 tracks from SOTU alternating Jezebel with Little Soul at some gigs.

So overall, they played 9 new tracks in 2005/06 and 10 new tracks in 2009/10. I think that is more new songs on the last two tours than any previous tours.
A DM fan. Not a Dave fan, not an Alan fan and not a Martin fan, just a DM fan.
WayneUK

Postby ryan mc govern » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:16 pm

I also agree the stage set was a little lame as it wasnt much more than a large screen with a ball in the middle .It would of been nice if they did something a little more original as every band out there now seems to have the same large screen behind then .I hope Little Soul gets thrown into the graveyard of dead DM songs Now this is a stage set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibs18ylrq90
ryan mc govern
DMMB Survivor

Postby Outbreak'74 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 pm

daveirl wrote:Depeche were very lazy on this tour regarding the new material and stage set. It's a real shame as they sounded great and Dave's voice was at its very best. Comeback peace and corrupt should have been staples on every set. I'd love to know the reason for so few new songs played on the last leg.

So lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aye right mate. I dont think you really know what u are bangin on about. Only a blow-in would say that about Depeche Mode.
Outbreak'74
DMMB Member

Postby daveirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Outbreak'74 wrote:So lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aye right mate. I dont think you really know what u are bangin on about. Only a blow-in would say that about Depeche Mode.

haha-yes so that 18year old (me) at Wembley arena during the world violation was a "blow in" The same person who has seen them on every tour since 1990 including the Ultra party etc. Get a grip will you and think before you open your gob.

My point was that any given show should have had at least 5 or 6 songs from SOTU. Remember a lot of fans didn't see the original leg.

I agree with Wayne regarding lots of SOTU played THROUGHOUT the tour but not at the shows I saw-Paris,Dublin and London. More like a greatest hits. Still great of course!
"I don't have a home..."
daveirl
DMMB Survivor

Postby XZ99 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:11 am

The only PTA song played on this tour was "Precious". So, I have a feeling that DM will only play "Wrong" on the next tour.
XZ99

Postby ryan mc govern » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 am

there is videos of martin trying to get the crowd to sing Peace with him and he had no luck so Iam sure thats in the dm graveyard hopefully with the painfull Little Soul.
ryan mc govern
DMMB Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Tour Of The Universe 2009