SOTU in future tours...

Discuss all topics relating to the 2009 Depeche Mode tour!

Postby Dm-angel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Dazza1971 wrote:I'm afraid to say I'm old enough to say I've seen them play People are People on the Some Great Reward Tour in November '84...Never thought it would be a rare moment.

Me also.............;) I saw them in October 1984..:)
Light will always shine in the heart of you..:cool:
Dm-angel

Postby Shadowman82 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:19 am

My biggest regret is that having been born in 82 I was too young to go see them when Alan was still in the band .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby Wyzdom » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:30 am

Shadowman82 wrote:Hahaha I don't really think People are People is such a great song either . But it's been a while since it was played live .

Another thing that bugs me and they've done that on the last tour as well is how in the later legs of their tours they play less tracks from the new album and play more of their old staples again . What's up with that ? Do they have so little confidence in their new material ?

Plus as far as old staples are concerned if I compare the set list to what it was when I saw them in Toronto with the DVD why did they remove "Strangelove" and " Master and Servant" ? Both of these are tracks they haven't played live that much in more recent tours but no they had to go and replace them with old songs they play all the time .

Also, Toronto had the best live song of the tour: Fragile Tension.

Talk about the fear of playing new songs. It's also what defines DM now. And when they had interesting old songs returning, they pulled them. The last leg was the worse and it's the one we got the DVD from.

But hey, at least the DVD is having Sister of Night :)))
Wyzdom

Postby eternallove » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:10 am

Wyzdom wrote:Also, Toronto had the best live song of the tour: Fragile Tension.
:)))

oh, my favorite EVER
eternallove

Postby Gahan crazy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Dazza1971 wrote:I'm afraid to say I'm old enough to say I've seen them play People are People on the Some Great Reward Tour in November '84...Never thought it would be a rare moment.

Yeah, i also saw them in '84 on the SGR tour, brilliant and i have always loved that album :D
Let me hear you speaking just for me...
Gahan crazy

Postby Shadowman82 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Wyzdom wrote:Also, Toronto had the best live song of the tour: Fragile Tension.

Talk about the fear of playing new songs. It's also what defines DM now. And when they had interesting old songs returning, they pulled them. The last leg was the worse and it's the one we got the DVD from.

But hey, at least the DVD is having Sister of Night :)))

Yes I really liked Fragile Tension in Toronto . As you stated I do like that they did the full album version of Sister of Night and I also like that they did " Miles Away" but other than that the set list on the DVD was fairly so so .

It's weird how when they make their albums they can go with really strange approaches to the production sometimes that are sure to piss off a fair portion of fans but on their tours they play it so safe and predictable .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby devotee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Shadowman82 wrote:Actually I think with U2 it probably is a slight on the current material . With DM .... I think their new material is still great but I do have to admit it's not always up to the quality of their old days . That being said there are several tracks on their most recent releases that I like more than some of their so called classics .

u2 coming down to south africa in feb 2011
and then kings of leon in march
and those concerts came outta the blue
how about mode sortingmy 2011 year out by making a late april appearance....

the beautiful cape town soccer world cup staduim is waiting:rolleyes::cool:
try walking in my shoes :icon_cool :icon_wink
devotee

Postby ryan mc govern » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:56 pm

sufferingwell wrote:Wrong for sure, and In Chains !

in chains dont think so it was a great opener on this tour and im sure hope it get dropped.
ryan mc govern
DMMB Survivor

Postby ryan mc govern » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:05 pm

devotee wrote:u2 coming down to south africa in feb 2011
and then kings of leon in march
and those concerts came outta the blue
how about mode sortingmy 2011 year out by making a late april appearance....

the beautiful cape town soccer world cup staduim is waiting:rolleyes::cool:

dm in 2011 cant see that happening and dm in a soccer stadium I dont think works well as onthe totu their stage set was way to small for the stadium dates and it worked way better on the arena tour dates.
ryan mc govern
DMMB Survivor

Postby jaydee » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:01 pm

in chains & Wrong.
jaydee

PreviousNext

Return to Tour Of The Universe 2009