Live Here Now Shows

Discuss all topics relating to the 2009 Depeche Mode tour!

Postby iandeleon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:34 pm

just downloaded the tel aviv show and it sounds great...i know what i'll be listening to for a WHILE!
iandeleon

Postby arkei » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Looks like hell froze over - downloading right now as I type. :)
arkei

Postby nowhereman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:23 am

has anyone heard anything about recording the North American Leg?
nowhereman

Postby Dmode1973 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Its mentioned on the previous LHN thread. They are planning to record all the shows from TOTU (subject to promoters etc) and that includes N America.

They done it for TTA in the 2nd US leg so dont see why they would not do it for this tour
Reach out and Touch Faith!

http://snodmeister.tumblr.com/
Dmode1973

Postby synthfrog » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:49 pm

Isn't a cover art supposed to be included with the files?
I remember that was the case during the 2006 downloads.

Seems like there's no cover art included here.
synthfrog

Postby arkei » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 am

Ok, here's my review:

*****SPOILERS*****

Ok, first of all, sonically this is about one notch below the TTA cds. The vocals are way too low in the mix, and the drums, while certainly loud enough, sound a bit muffled. But hey, this is live rock and roll, so we can take a few blips. And the "double-dave" effect caused by the lousy pitch correction is once again with us - in spades. But again, you've got to listen closely to catch it because the vocals are mixed so low.

So don't get me wrong - it doesn't sound bad. It's just not quite up with the TTA cds.

I do have to give kudos to LHN for finally fixing that damned dropout between tracks which plagued the TTA downloads.

As for the band, they're really REALLY on. It seems they've gone back to their long lost method of re-arranging songs for the live shows. During the last few tours, they seemed to be simply recreating the studio tracks live, instead of completely rearranging the songs like they used to. Not this time!!!!!!

In Chains is much more energetic, mainly due to Christian's input. It's much cooler than the original album track, with a heavy dose of much needed kick drum. Wrong is pretty much the same as on the album, only the synths are louder. Hole to Feed almost becomes a skiffle track with the minimalist rearrangement. Peace also has quite a rhythmic kick in the a**. They almost made it into a dance track. Come Back benefits from a new synth intro which makes it almost dreamy live. Jezebel and In Sympathy are largely untouched, although Christian's pounding away give the later more "umph" than the looped newspaper flicking of the original studio version.

Fans of DM live concerts will notice that many of the electronic samples are removed from Walking in My Shoes, but the song otherwise remains the same as every performance since Devotional - other SOFAD songs, however, are changed. In Your Room starts out like the album version, augmented by some light tribal drumming. But after the first verse, blows into the single version and doesn't look back. A bit of a shame since we haven't heard the album version live since 1994, but a fun and welcome change nonetheless. I Feel You actually begins JUST LIKE ON THE ALBUM, instead of the spooky remix rhythm. Nope, they start with the screech, then you get about one measure of the usual intro, and then they launch into the song as it was on the album. It's shorter, sweeter, and an interesting change to the mix.

They also seem to have changed some of the synth patches used in Enjoy the Silence and Never Let Me Down Again, but these changes are subtle. The later also has some more improvised acoustic piano stuff, but these are also subtle changes. Personal Jesus seems to be an inversion of the TTA version - instead of extended guitar fun at the end, it's now at the beginning, along with a tempo change for the intro. They've also beefed up the arrangement of It's No Good, using a newer, more articulated guitar patch.

Another thing which can be said for this show is that they seem to be promoting Black Celebration as much as SOTU. They resurrect the TTA arrangement of Question of Time, the Devotional version of Fly on a Windscreen, the Devotional/TTA arrangement of Stripped, and a Martin/Peter acoustic piano arrangement of Question of Lust.

Then there are the classic gems Strangelove and Master and Servant. The former is a pretty straightforward rehash of the song - very similar to the treatment they usually give to Policy of Truth when they perform it live (opening with the drumbeat, then adding the synth/bass elements, etc). The later is an updated version with a more electronica style bassline. Love it.

Overall an awesome show - money well spent. I hope it's just as cool when they bring it to Dallas next month.
arkei

Postby iandeleon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:11 pm

nowhereman wrote:has anyone heard anything about recording the North American Leg?

I actually emailed LHN about this and they got back to me with the following but hopefully everything is cleared for them to do the US leg:

Hi,

Unfortunately we do not have confirmation of this as yet, however please do keep an eye on the store.

Kind regards

Sandbag
iandeleon

Postby Dmode1973 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:17 pm

yes I have Berlin ,Paris and Milan ordered so hopefully hear something on Berlin anyway by the end of the month.
Reach out and Touch Faith!

http://snodmeister.tumblr.com/
Dmode1973

Postby housegirl » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:43 pm

arkei wrote:Ok, here's my review:

*****SPOILERS*****

Ok, first of all, sonically this is about one notch below the TTA cds. The vocals are way too low in the mix, and the drums, while certainly loud enough, sound a bit muffled. But hey, this is live rock and roll, so we can take a few blips. And the "double-dave" effect caused by the lousy pitch correction is once again with us - in spades. But again, you've got to listen closely to catch it because the vocals are mixed so low.

So don't get me wrong - it doesn't sound bad. It's just not quite up with the TTA cds.

Broke down and dl'd the Tel Aviv show the other night. I totally agree with you in that the recording doesn't sound as good as the TTA cds. Still VERY happy with the show, but wish the recording was as good as TTA. Perhaps future releases will sound a bit better.
see the stars they're shining bright, everything's alright tonight
housegirl

PreviousNext

Return to Tour Of The Universe 2009