3.7.09 Arvika, Sweden (spoilers)

Discuss all topics relating to the 2009 Depeche Mode tour!

Postby Fly on the Windscreen » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:02 pm

I too was disappointed and frustrated in Arvika. The atmosphere was average at best and the shortened (by FIVE -5) setlist was irritating. I went to the Quart festival in Kristansand Norway 2006, and that show was shortened a little too. Maybe I'll give the festivals a miss from now on. I'm just glad I made the trip to Copenhagen a few days earlier, Fantastic show!
Kiss me goodbye
Fly on the Windscreen

Postby superk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:04 pm

the problem with festivals is that it is more about the festivals than the band...about the worst place to see great performance.
superk

Postby GastonJacques » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:16 pm

WayneUK wrote:Indeed. It just makes a change to read something positive about that gig, as I don't read that many positive thoughts about it.

I wasn't there *bangs fist against forehead in frustration* but the LHN recording really sounds fantastic to me... What were peoples main complaints?

I was however at Arvika, and despite a shortened setlist and technical issues (even the screens failed once or twice, and some of the light effects were absent) I'm still walking around with a stupid smile on my face. Dave left a bit to much of the singing to the crowd for my liking (every refrain on Enjoy the Silence and Stripped), but him and the rest of the band gave a fantastic performance in a strange and wonderful place for a DM concert. Imagine Stripped in what is basically a tiny glade in an enormous deep dark forest and you might start to realize how powerful the experience were. The boys looked very happy during and after the show, and it might have something to do with travelling to the middle of nowhere, getting picked up by a car and driven far into the woods and then still see 30.000 fans singing your songs when you get out on stage... Brilliant!
GastonJacques

Postby Hellblazer » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:36 pm

Why oh why did I decide to see DM in Arvika..? Have looked forvard to master and servant since I saw the first setlist. It´s so sad... Hope they come back in 2010.
I feel you was great though. Best version ever..
Hellblazer

Postby sivals » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:26 am

I think from the bands point of view, festivals are a great way of reaching audiences that potentially will discover the greatness of the band. Because the band never got played much on radio (compared to other bands with similar attendances), many people think DM is nothing more than Personal Jesus and/or Enjoy The Silence.

I was also disappointed over the shortened playlist, especially since I recruited a new devotee that I brought with me. I saw the full show in Copenhagen, so I'll survive. But still he thought this was a great event, and claimed he now would but all the DM material he could find. I don't think the shortened setlist had anything to do with the technical problems, given the fact that the probs started long after we saw the first signs of a shortened setlist. I live just outside Oslo, so I didn't have a long way to travel this time. I feel a bit sorry for those who travelled far, with expectations of more songs. But then again, be thankful this band is still around after 28 years - and still manages to rock our world:)
sivals
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby WayneUK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:57 am

GastonJacques wrote:I wasn't there *bangs fist against forehead in frustration* but the LHN recording really sounds fantastic to me... What were peoples main complaints?

I was at Budapest in 2006 and it was a very average gig, poor atmosphere etc etc.....yet the LHN recording I received sounded amazing.
A DM fan. Not a Dave fan, not an Alan fan and not a Martin fan, just a DM fan.
WayneUK

Postby WayneUK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:02 am

Must admit, the disspointment in the set list is the only real bug bear I have read about Avrika, although this comment from another board gives another fans point of view

'Arvika was a grand disappointment. Depeche Mode seems the least flexible band in the world to me. No hunger, no glow, no dynamic, no nothing new. And this all served with a drummer from hell. Will Depeche ever be as good as in 86-94? No.Is this it for me & Depeche Mode concerts? I guess so'

The drummer from hell bit just raised a few eybrows.
A DM fan. Not a Dave fan, not an Alan fan and not a Martin fan, just a DM fan.
WayneUK

Postby adde » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:51 pm

somebody88 wrote:no problem. :)

I think it is fair that you mention your source for your information. :(
You got the info from www.depeche-mode.com and I was the one (together with blackarmy) who sent the setlist to that website...
adde

Postby Leev » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:03 pm

I was there, stood in the front row. Or, well - the first five-six songs. Behind me where a bunch of drunk, irritating guys that wanted to stand in the front row more than anything else. When I got lifted over I didn't knew if I were dead or alive... It was crazy!

Even though they didn't play the same setlist as in the rest of the tour, I don't think the guys were bad or something, it just felt very... short. :P
It was just a bit sad that Martin just sang one song (Home), I was looking forward to "Little Soul" or "Jezebel". But well, you can't have everything. :P

And I think it's a mistery that they played 15 minuts shorter than they were scheduled, don't know what was up with that...

Well well, I've been a DM-fan since I was 11, so I don't think this so-so concert will change my feelings for them. I just have to see them some other time during TOTU. ^^

Here's some pictures I took. I know they're not that good, but well, the pressure from the crowd took most of my concentration... Unfortunately. :/
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Livli/Arvikafestivalen%202009/

(Let me know if the link doesn't work)

(And, sorry for my bad english, I hope you understood what I wrote... :P)
Leev

Postby DepecheMV » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:17 am

I think Depeche in Arvika was really good.
The only disappointment was the 5 missing songs.
I had really looked forward to see "Strangelove" and "Master And Servant".

I just hope they come back to Sweden for a real concert again maybe next year.
DepecheMV

PreviousNext

Return to Tour Of The Universe 2009