Australia

Discuss all topics relating to the 2009 Depeche Mode tour!

Postby PinzVidz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:29 am

Hollowpromises, please... no. All the dodgy commercial radio stations will play is Just can't get enough, it's the only DM song in their library. Ughhhhh... (that ughhhhh is directed at the radio stations, btw, not the song).

I doubt new DM material would get much of any airplay in Australia these days. JJJ played plenty of everything from Violator thru to Exciter, didn't seem to play much of PtA. Although, commercial stations are trying their little hearts out now jumping on the alternative bandwagon (MGMT and the Ting Tings come to mind). Who knows what they'll try and do with new DM material?!?

Anyways, if DM come to Australia in (maybe) late 09, I'll be over the moon!!!

And thank you Acidduck, I'm a huge GN fan as well. I was unaware that he is coming here next year, thanks for the heads up! :D
PinzVidz

Postby Blitzkrieg » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:43 pm

I Feel Loved wrote:If they won't come to us, we'll have to go to them.

Indeed. I would love to see them make it down here late 09 or early 2010, but I am not going to risk it, and have tickets for the 02 gig in London.
Blitzkrieg

Postby I Feel Loved » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:27 pm

Blitzkrieg wrote:Indeed. I would love to see them make it down here late 09 or early 2010, but I am not going to risk it, and have tickets for the 02 gig in London.

Nice... :)

I'm thinking Vegas (and probably LA too.) That way we'll see somewhere we haven't been before and can therefore justify an overseas trip because it's not just to see DM.

ACiDduck wrote:I'm also a big Gary Numan fan, and Gary is coming out to Sydney in March next year - the first time in about 29 years! I am so excited. Got my ticket as soon as they went on sale. I think Depeche need to follow in his footsteps, even if just to silence us whinging Aussies for a little while!

We almost bought tickets for Gary Numan (in Brisbane) but it's floor/standing only and I'm a tiny person. I wouldn't see a thing and at about $90 a ticket I'd like a nice view please. ]
This is my brain, and I live in it. It's made of love and bad song lyrics.
I Feel Loved

Postby Duds » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:07 pm

I Feel Loved wrote:I'm thinking Vegas (and probably LA too.) That way we'll see somewhere we haven't been before and can therefore justify an overseas trip because it's not just to see DM.
[/Aussie whinge]

This is a bizarre thread. Forgive me but I always thought that Aussies whinged a lot and yet they call us Whinging Poms!!!

Anyway, IFL almost certainly doing West Coast USA next year so our paths may cross.
I love The Mode.
And if loving The Mode is WRONG!
I don't wanna be right!
Duds

Postby Spaced » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:59 am

Well, I could write a thesis on DM and the average Australian. I mentioned DM to my best mate recently and she came back with 'oh.. a flock of sea gulls?'. I think DM were strongly labelled as a 'synthesiser band' in the 80s like its a bad thing. The average Aussie was listening to Jimmy Barnes and Australian Crawl back then (both world famous in Australia of course). Now Australian Gen Y seems much more open to electronic music (eg the Presets, Cut Copy etc). I think PTA was completely ignored in Australia though.
Perhaps now might be the right time for DM in Aust...who knows. Andy's comments and "Tour of the Universe" sound promising, however, I'm saving for an OS trip all the same.
I have to say that I really really loved the fact that I could watch the press conference live in my living room in Perth. That was pretty awesome! Maybe they could do a similar thing for a gig perhaps????
...things like this, make me sick
in a case like this I'll get away with it
Spaced

Postby ukozcd » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 am

Duds wrote:This is a bizarre thread. Forgive me but I always thought that Aussies whinged a lot and yet they call us Whinging Poms!!!

Anyway, IFL almost certainly doing West Coast USA next year so our paths may cross.

Yeah on DMMB I dont think the Aussie fans whinge as much as others but then there are less of us!

I am hoping for a 2nd or 2rd leg to be announced - I would love to travel to Sydney or elsewhere again - that would be great
ukozcd

Postby I Feel Loved » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Duds wrote:This is a bizarre thread. Forgive me but I always thought that Aussies whinged a lot and yet they call us Whinging Poms!!!

Well I can be classed as both an Aussie whinger and a Pommie one having lived half my life in the UK and half over here.

Might see you in Vegas then. :)

And I think Spaced is right... The Presets won a couple of awards at the ARIAs last night, Australia is ripe for electronic music right now. And as for a webcast of a concert, we watched the Rock AM thing or whatever it was called when it was webcast. Technology is wonderful sometimes. And that was one of those times. :D
I Feel Loved

Postby newborn01 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:45 pm

I Feel Loved wrote:And I think Spaced is right... The Presets won a couple of awards at the ARIAs last night, Australia is ripe for electronic music right now.

Exactly! "Apocalypso" is a good album too. If DM's new album is up there with their best I think that it will get noticed, particularly as there is an 80's revival happening (also with Cut Copy, Van She, Dukes of Windsor, Keane etc).

Last time we had a petition to bring DM to Australia ... do you reckon if we start early it'll work?

And thanks to those who uploaded that Fletch interview with quotes. Made my week.
With or without words I'll confide everything.
newborn01
DMMB Veteran

Postby Spaced » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:15 am

Thanks I Feel Loved. I wasn't in Cyberspace when the Rock AM Ring thing was webcast, so missed it live :o( It would be great if they could do that again though :o)

Great to see so many Aussie fans online too :o)

Re petition? I think you can set up a cyber petition these days can't you???? Not sure how it works really.

In a perfect world I want a time machine and I'd go back to the mid 80s when they were touring SGR and Black Celebration. You know the smaller gigs, not the stadium stuff. Not that there is anything wrong with stadium gigs but I kinda like the intimacy of the smaller space. It would be great if they would do some smaller gigs in oz. Didn't INXS do something like that before Mr Hutchence moved on? I have a vague recollection........
...things like this, make me sick
in a case like this I'll get away with it
Spaced

Postby I Feel Loved » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Well I was in the UK around the SGR and Black Celebration era so I did see them in the smaller venues in Bristol and Gloucester. Even when they came to Brisbane in 94 it was quite a small venue, (the Festival Hall,) which is now sadly gone. :( I've never been to a DM stadium gig.

IF they do come to Aus, and if the radio is still only playing JCGE then they might still only have enough fans to play smaller venues, so would it be worth the time and money to get everything here in that case? They'd have to scale things back to make any money out of it.

I don't know if a cyber petition would have any effect. What needs to happen is that the new album needs to be an absolute cracker and the marketing people need to make sure that it gets airplay. Some radio stations also have websites where people can ask for requests too. But the actions of a few fans would not be as effective as a brilliant album and a major marketing push.
I Feel Loved

PreviousNext

Return to Tour Of The Universe 2009