How would you feel if Dave stayed a solo artist??

Discuss Dave's "Hourglass" solo project here.

Postby Mode Emu » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:57 pm

I can't see DM being over at the moment. The last album was good, I think DM is still evolving, taking into account Dave's songwriting and his wish to be more involved. As long as that keeps happening I can see everyone being happy with the situation. I reckon Dave would be a serious solo artist if they decided to end DM, and I think nowadays it would be a mutual decision by the band that they didn't want to do DM anymore. I really can't see Dave walking out on the other guys to be a solo artist now. Hourglass is an improvement on Paper Monsters, in that I am actually still enjoying it a few months later. But he's not that serious about a solo career right now, no tour is the big telltale sign there. He was doing this to keep his hand in while DM are on their usual several year hiatus before albums. he loves music and wants to play around, so he did. Must be nice to be able to do that! But I get the feeling from the press etc that everyone is happy right now so i can't see DM folding right now. But if/when they do and if/when Dave goes solo, the quality of his music will be important. If he can keep developing from Hourglass, then all looks good and he'd be getting my support!
Mode Emu
DMMB Survivor

Rmember 1995

Postby ANDRES77 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:46 pm

acinommoni wrote:I'd support Dave as a solo artist but I can't think DM without one of its members.

Before 1995 anyone can even imagine DEPECHE MODE as a trio again without Alan Wiilder. And we have to remeber that he was the main musical part of the band on studio and live performing.

I think if Dave or Martin or Fletch leave the band it would only change...because DEPECHE MODE has a lot of tradition and too many fan's, songs, production, ....

Today DM is not the same band of the 80's and early 90's...is more rock influenced, that's the only way they can go on without Alan Wilder, and maybe if Dave stay as a solo artist the band can change to play only Martin's balads.
ANDRES77

Postby ultrasillygirl » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:17 am

Miss Tick wrote:I love Hourglass,I love Dave,but I'd be pissed if he stayed as a solo artist,if he wasn't in DM anymore,if it was the end of DM-then I'd be sad too.I'd love to see the new DM songs written by Dave and Mart together-not 50% each,but most songs as a writing team,and some by Dave,some by Martin.And a solo album once in a while maybe...

I totally agree with that. DM wouldnt be the same without Dave! And a solo album is a side project, but not the big thing as in the band.
ultrasillygirl

Postby Euphor » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:18 pm

I think it should stay as it is. DM is a very powerful band. I love Dave's albums, but I think he needs to gain more of a following as a solo artist.

I want him to branch out more. Try different stuff.
Sounds go through the muscles.

<Snippets of the Morose>
Euphor

Postby emmadm101 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Ugh I'd hate it, the reason i fell in love with mode was for the whole package, yeah dave is my fave member of the band but i love the group sound,whilst i enjoy Dave solo, there are only a couple of Dave songs that i REALLY like

Mode as a whole is just bliss in a bottle

:D
"Come with me into the trees"-With you Dave,ANY DAY ;)
emmadm101

Location: I cannot be held responsible for my actions,In regards to ANY images of Dave circa 1986-1990(UK)

Postby shining bright » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:09 pm

I understand Dave's initial need to go solo, to put himself to the test. And I did enjoy Hourglass. He's making progress as a songwriter and most importantly he's putting himself into his songs and you can tell he wants to express his deeper soul through his lyrics.
But in my opinion DM must stay together forever and their efforts should always be directed to a DM album rather than solo projects...
One thing I don't understand: is it so hard for the two of them to work together on songs instead of having 7 songs by Mart and 3 by Dave ( or 6 and 4, 5 and 5...)?
Or would this mean that none of them would be able to express themselves fully?
:confused:
shining bright

Postby Trulyours » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 pm

However...Dave is a king
:p :p :p

Love Depeche!!!
Trulyours

Postby LondonGirlie78 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:50 pm

As long as Dave continues to make music some way shape or form I don't care. I love DM, but I would be even sadder if Dave stopped making music all together.
DC ~ July 28, 2009
Seattle ~ August 10, 2009
DC ~ September 10, 2013
LondonGirlie78
DMMB Survivor

Postby jean-genie » Sun May 04, 2008 1:11 am

RAX wrote:I'd agree with this entirely. The whole truly is greater than its parts

same here, agree. I want more DM music!
jean-genie

PreviousNext

Return to Hourglass forum