Tattoo

A forum for Dave's "Paper Monsters" project.

Postby Christie » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:28 pm

The Cat wrote:I meant a lost brother of Dave himself for you to get:icon_wink ! A twin maybe.

IT JUST WOULDN'T BE THE SAME... I NEED DAVE! :icon_wink
Christie

Dragging this thread back to its purpose...

Postby Ocelot » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:01 am

Christie, as a purrson with multiple tattoos, I offer the following advice:

1) Find a good tattoo artist, not some avenue shop with dirty sticky floors. There's a fantastic shop here in Seattle, WA, USA called Slave to the Needle, run by Aaron Bell. I recommend visiting their website and sending an e-mail to Aaron or one of the other artists for a referral to a quality artist in your area. (The artist I go to there is John Fitzgerald, btw.)

2) Choose the site on your body for the tattoo, keeping in mind that areas with greater muscle mass (such as shoulders, upper back, thighs, calves) will generally hurt less overall. It's the spots that have greater sensitivity--like your inner forearm--or less muscle mass--like wrists and ankles--that rate much higher on the Scale of Ouch. Also keep in mind how your skin and underlying muscle will change with age. A good tattoo artist will be honest with you and let you know if a site is going to show some "sag" later in life. Size of a design is usually dependent upon the site.

3) Then choose your design with regards to your skin tone. Caucasian skin tones, and those with a light olive cast (errrm...coming up with someone of Japanese ancestry as an example), usually "hold ink" really well throughout the entire spectrum of colors. For a darker skin tone, a design should be planned towards the lighter end of the palette if you want it to show up well. Again, a good artist will work with you to achieve the best design possible. After all, even with laser removal, a tattoo is a permanent body decoration--you don't want something that sucks. Image

Depending on what artist you find in your neck of the woods, make sure you find out where his/her artistic strengths lie with regard to your design. Some artists are wizards at rendering portraits, others aren't. Everyone has a style, and it's important to match that style to what you want to see on your skin.

As far as an idea for you to mull over, I have to admit I don't care for portraits, and not having seen any of Anton Corbjin's photos, I can't speak to that angle. If it were me (and this is really hypothetical, because I have very specific, totemic designs that I am working onto my body; I'd never choose something like this in real life), the idea of a variation of Dave's Celtic knotwork would be the most interesting. Knotwork doesn't have any specific meaning, at least as far as I've read, so you could take a portion of his design, rework it, use it to maybe inspire a whole different design, things like that. And color patterns would be completely your preference.

I don't recall if you mentioned if this was your first tattoo, but if it is, it feels like a bee sting that eases off as you're getting inked due to the release of endorphins. Breathing slowly and regularly helps in the more intense patches--usually when you're getting color or shading inked, since that involves multiple needles. And you can always tell the artist you need a break if it's getting to be too much.

I think I've officially picked my own brain dry. Hope the above info helps. (I should borrow my friend's digital camera and take a pic of my ocelot so you can see and example of some crackin' good work. Hmmm...)

Now if I just had money for my next tattoo --
Ocelot
cat@eskimo.com
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.
Ocelot

Snarf! Low blood sugar prevents correct reading of thread

Postby Ocelot » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:13 am

I went back in the thread and read that this isn't your first tat, so much of what I just typed out above is likely in the Been-There-Done-That column. Ack. Chalk it up to low blood-sugar: the words start blurring together when I let myself get hypoglycemic... Image

Oh, a huntin' I will go...through the refrigerator (ooh, cold pizza!) --
Ocelot
cat@eskimo.com
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.
Ocelot

Postby Christie » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:44 pm

it's cool, ocelot! thanks for the info!!
Christie

Postby depechelove » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:39 pm

Well,i don't know what you decide about what tatoo,size,color,etc should be on your body,but i know that i want Dave's old signature on my upper bottom and black.:p ..Just DavidGahan..:icon_smil
depechelove

Previous

Return to Dave Gahan - Paper Monsters